Freightliner’s 108SD combines powerful, fuel-efficient engines, multiple PTO options, a chassis engineered for ease of upfit, and a weight-optimized design. This severe-duty truck takes toughness onto tight jobsites and down narrow streets. It’s powered by a Cummins® ISB or ISC engine and provides a wheel cut up to 50 degrees.
The 108SD offers the versatility you crave. Front engine, rear engine, and transmission PTO options allow flexibility for body hydraulic power needs. It offers integral front frame extensions in either six-inch or 24-inch lengths, giving a solid mounting point for hydraulic pumps, winches, hose reels, front stabilizers, and snow plows.
The 108SD also incorporates Freightliner’s proprietary SmartPlex™ Electrical System, which provides unmatched flexibility when configuring trucks for specific applications.
Freightliner applies sophisticated engineering to the structural elements of its work trucks. First, its cabs are lightweight, yet extremely tough. Corrosion resistant aluminum is reinforced with e-coated steel and assembled to precise manufacturing tolerances with Henrob rivets and welded construction. This process produces a durable and safe cab that meets stringent A-pillar impact, rollover, and back wall impact tests.
The chassis includes a robust backbone with a complete offering of single and double channel frame rails. The result is a tensile strength of up to 120,000 psi and an RBM ratio up to 4.4 million inch-lbs per rail. This means the 108SD can handle whatever job is thrown at it, day after day, year after year.
Corrugated floor, roof, and back-of-cab panels add strength so the 108SD meets Swedish A-pillar test standards and SAE J2422 roof strength requirements. The 108SD is available in day cab, extended cab, or four-door crew cab configurations. Its 2,500 square-inch one-piece windshield offers outstanding jobsite visibility. Wide door openings with low step-in height mean safe entry and exit, and a steel firewall provides solid mounting of dash panel and driver controls.
As any good work truck should, Freightliner offers a number of standard and optional features. Standard features include:
- 108-inch BBC steel-reinforced aluminum day cab
- Set-back front axle position at 42 inches
- Stationary radiator-mounted mold-in color front grille
- Tilt hood for easy engine access
- Front grille, headlight bezels, engine air intake grille, bumper, and primary mirrors trimmed in black
- Halogen composite headlights
- Air rear cab mounts
- Ergonomic wing dash
- 63-inch x 14-inch rear window
- Up to 50-degree wheel cut, depending on wheel equipment
- Standard Cummins® ISC engine offering 350 hp and 1000 lb-ft of torque
- Eaton® Fuller® 6-speed manual transmission
- Front axle rated at 12,000 lbs and rear axle rated at 21,000 lbs
- 50-gallon cylindrical fuel tank
The 108SD’s optional features include:
- Bright-accented front grille with chromed grille surround, headlight bezels, and engine air intake grille
- Engine air intake pre-cleaner
- Integral front frame extensions in 6-inch and 24-inch lengths for front bumper stabilizer install
- Large selection of wheelbases with frames and frame reinforcements to meet severe-duty needs
- Engine and transmission PTOs
- Two or three batteries mounted under cab to optimize back-of-cab packaging
- Range of cylindrical and rectangular aluminum fuel tanks
- Steer axles from 10,000 to 20,000 lbs
- Single drive axles from 17,500- to 38,000-lb ratings
- Tandem drive axles from 40,000- to 46,000-lb ratings
- Wide range of Eaton and Allison® transmissions
- Freightliner AirLiner® and TufTrac® rear suspensions
- Hendrickson® walking beam and air ride rear suspensions
- Expanded dash instrumentation, switches, and controls to meet almost any vocational application
- Cummins ISB engine with up to 325 hp and 750 lb-ft of torque
- Frame-mounted front tow eyes
Freightliner designed the 108SD to meet the needs of numerous applications, and leave you with no need unmet.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Find out more about Freightliner’s products and services, visit www.freightliner.com.
MODERN WORKTRUCK SOLUTIONS: JANUARY 2017 ISSUE
Did you enjoy this article?
Subscribe to the FREE Digital Edition of Modern WorkTruck Solutions magazine.