The 2018 Ford F-150 delivers best-in-class payload and tow ratings, and its reduced weight increases payload. That’s resulted from cutting the weight of the F-150 body with high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy. With an impressive engine lineup, the 2018 F-150 has a lot to offer.
“Ford engineers work to make the F-150 pickup better every year and push the competition to try to keep up on the performance front,” according to Ford. “There are five engine choices, naturally aspirated and turbocharged. Auto Start-Stop Technology is on all engines. And, more engines feature the segment-exclusive 10-speed automatic.” The 2018 Ford F-150’s engine options include:
- 3.5L ECOBOOST®: The second generation of this EcoBoost offers higher ratings of 375 hp with 470 lb-ft of torque. The big improvements consist of Ford-first port fuel and direct injection (PFDI) with two injectors per cylinder—one in the air intake port and another inside the cylinder—to improve power and efficiency, and all-new twin turbos for greater on-demand power.
- 2.7L ECOBOOST®: This engine delivers impressive robust performance and capability with features like PFDI and upper block and cylinders made of the high-strength compacted graphite iron.
- NEW 3.3L TI-VCT V6: This engine offers responsive power and capability. The twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) opens/closes the valves in precise duration to suit operating conditions, so power output is optimized at every point across the performance band. The 3.3-liter also has the PFDI, as well as a 6-speed automatic transmission with three selectable modes to suit the driving condition: Normal, Tow-Haul, and Sport.
- 5.0L TI-VCT V8: This engine delivers best-in-class payload and 395 hp with 400 lb-ft of torque thanks to Ti-VCT and new direct injection (DI). Ti-VCT optimizes performance across the entire power band to match driving conditions. DI injects gas at high pressure directly and precisely into each cylinder, extracting as much power as possible from every drop of fuel. The 5-liter offers a CNG/Propane Gaseous Engine Prep Package for conversion to CNG or propane autogas.
“F-150 EcoBoost® and V8 engines deliver their power through an advanced 10-speed automatic transmission,” according to Ford. “Compared with the 6-speed gearbox it replaced, the 10-speed delivers improved overall performance, with enhanced acceleration at the low and mid ranges of the power band. Features include optimized wide-span gear spacing coupled with drag-reduction actions, plus three overdrive gears. What’s more, you can choose from selectable modes: Normal, Tow-Haul, Snow-Wet, EcoSelect, and Sport.”
The 2018 F-150’s body is lighter than the previous generation—up to 700 lbs lighter—and made of high-strength, military-grade, heat-treated and hardened aluminum alloy. The body sits on a fully boxed frame made of up to 78 percent high-strength steel with larger cross sections than the previous frame. Though stronger and more rigid, this frame is lighter by up to 60 lbs, since many of the components are fabricated using a weight-minimizing, state-of-the-art roll-forming process.
“This bold concept took shape with advanced computer-aided design technology, followed by F-150 prototypes subjected to more than 10 million cumulative miles of torturous testing on Ford proving grounds and in real world jobs,” according to Ford.
SAFETY AND COMFORT
The 2018 F-150 offers a pickup bed that can be equipped to maximize productivity. Available features include the flexible, configurable Box Link™ system; LED box lights; stowable loading ramps; integrated tailgate step with lift assist; remote tailgate release; deployable box-side steps available on all cab configurations; and the Heavy-Duty Payload Package.
The F-150 provides multiple storage areas, including plenty of space to stow items in the door-trim panel bins and available flow-through center console. It also features a fully flat rear-load floor with under-seat storage.
Available 360-degree camera with split-view display uses four cameras to enable you to see all sides of the truck by stitching the images together and displaying them on a center stack screen. “It’s useful when maneuvering in tight spaces and on trails. Also helpful is the included hitch assist feature that provides a dynamic sight line to help direct your hitch ball to the trailer receiver,” according to Ford.
Also available is Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), which signals you in the outside mirror when a vehicle is detected in a blind spot. The cross-traffic alert feature can detect a vehicle passing behind when you’re slowly backing out of a driveway or parking place.
Pre-Collision Assist and Lane-Keeping System also help you navigate safer. Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection scans the road ahead. If the sensors detect a potential collision, you get a visual warning on the windshield, as well as an audible alert. If corrective action is not taken and a collision becomes imminent, the brakes can apply automatically. Lane-Keeping System vibrates the steering wheel or gives torque sensations, or both if you choose, when you drift too close to a lane marker.
Add this to the adaptive cruise control and you can see the emphasis Ford put on driver comfort and safety. “Adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go technology allows you to set a cruising speed and distance from the vehicle ahead. When activated, the stop-and-go feature automatically accelerates and brakes your truck while maintaining your preset distance,” according to Ford. “The stop-and-go technology can bring your vehicle to a complete stop in stopped traffic and resume as traffic begins to move.”
Available on the 2018 F-150 is SYNC Connect®. A SYNC Connect equipped vehicle allows you to use FordPass™ to track your vehicle’s location and remotely access such vehicle features as start, lock and unlock, and vehicle status. You can also schedule specific times to remotely start your vehicle so it’s ready to hit the road as soon as you are. “FordPass is the one-stop app that can help you move more freely throughout your day,” according to Ford. With FordPass, you can:
- Find, reserve, and pay ahead of time for parking
- Compare fuel prices at stations along your route
- Receive key vehicle info and schedule service
- Lock, unlock, and start your vehicle remotely
- Get FordPass help from a FordGuide
The 2018 Ford F-150 offers strength, durability, advanced safety, driver comfort, and the kind of forward-thinking tech that boosts productivity. If you’re looking for an addition to your fleet, look no more.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Find out more about the 2018 Ford F-150 and other Ford products and services, visit www.fleet.ford.com.