The 2017 Toyota Tacoma looks like its early model predecessors’ big brother. But, according to Toyota, “There’s more to this machine than just its aggressive good looks. Heavy-duty components take this truck to places others fear to tread.” A statement like that really makes you want to take a look. I’ll help you out with that.
Tacoma’s advanced engineering and materials help to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness. According to Toyota, “When things get hectic outside, Tacoma’s cabin keeps you feeling calm, cool, and collected.” Tacoma’s interior is designed with soft-touch materials to increase your comfort. The Tacoma Limited model has leather-trimmed seats and dual zone automatic climate control for maximum comfort. When you’re in Tacoma, driving from jobsite to jobsite, Toyota wants you to feel like the boss.
LEADING THE PACK
With “defined, chiseled lines and muscular fenders,” the 2017 Tacoma is a looker. The aggressive grille and available hood scoop provide a pretty impressive first impression. “Out back, the tailgate features an embossed Tacoma logo, reminding everyone that this truck was built to lead the pack,” according to Toyota.
Under the hood, the 3.5-liter DOHC V6 direct injection Atkinson-cycle engine—providing 278 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque—supplies the power Tacoma needs to get you around the jobsite. Available Tow Package offers up to 6,800 lbs of tow/haul power.
And, because sometimes getting to a jobsite means leaving the comfort of paved roads, Tacoma’s available Bilstein® shocks deliver consistent performance across multiple terrains. “These shocks help soak up the heavy dips and bumps, thanks to high-performance components and valving tuned specifically for off-road driving,” according to Toyota.
Tacoma offers standard and available features that might make you fall in love—and make your job a little easier:
- Easy lower tailgate: Tacoma’s lockable, easy lower tailgate opens smoothly and can be easily removed when needed.
- Projector-beam headlights: Standard projector-beam headlights offer a better nighttime view of the road ahead.
- Multi-information display: The available 4.2-inch, color multi-information display can be customized to show current mpg, song selection, individual tire pressure, and available Multi-terrain Select setting.
- Entune™ Premium JBL®: Available Entune Premium JBL audio with integrated navigation and app suite keeps you in tune with your music, phone book, and more.
- Qi-compatible wireless charging: Available Qi-compatible wireless smartphone charging allows you to place your Qi-compatible device on top of the nonslip surface to help keep it charged.
- Integrated backup camera: Standard backup camera helps you see what the camera detects behind you on the audio display.
The Tacoma truck bed has a slew of features all its own. “Tacoma’s rugged truck bed is ready to take whatever you throw at it, all while helping keep it safe,” according to Toyota.
- Tri-fold tonneau cover: Available hard, tri-fold tonneau cover, built just for Tacoma and OE tough, is a lockable cover that works with the standard locking tailgate to help keep what’s in your truck bed secure.
- Composite bed: Tacoma’s bed is comprised of an ultra-durable, fiber-reinforced Sheet-Molded Composite (SMC) surface for impact strength that will help keep the bed of your truck looking good.
- Deck rail system: Standard deck rail system features C-channel frames and four heavy-duty, adjustable tie-down cleats, giving you the strength you need to keep your cargo secure.
TRD PRO SERIES
“Toyota Racing Development (TRD) has been helping enthusiasts get more performance from their Toyotas for more than 35 years. Designed by the pros at TRD, Tacoma TRD Pro can take you places way off the map,” according to Toyota.
“Based on TRD Off-Road, the Tacoma TRD Pro adds even more extreme capability with features like TRD-tuned suspension with 2.5-inch FOX Internal Bypass shocks and Rigid Industries® LED fog lights to help light your way. So, whether your job takes you through snow, dirt, or mud, this truck will get you there.” Some TRD features include:
- TRD Pro Series skid plate: Standard on Tacoma TRD Pro, the unique TRD Pro skid plate is constructed from .25-inch-thick aluminum to help protect crucial mechanical components underneath the front end.
- FOX Internal Bypass shocks: Tuned by TRD, the FOX Internal Bypass shocks give the ultimate in performance and control. These shocks feature 2.5-inch aluminum housings; hardened, oversize shock shafts; a raised front ride height; and remote reservoirs in the rear.
TRD PRO: ARCTIC CHALLENGE
Some jobs are done in extreme temperatures. These jobs need tested workhorses. “There’s cold—and then there’s Arctic Circle in winter cold. Tacoma TRD Pro took on temperatures way below zero for a road trip up Alaska’s Dalton Highway—a desolate, 414-mile stretch of road that goes beyond the Arctic Circle and ends at the Arctic Ocean. While other trucks need winches, block heaters, and a full overlander package to make this trip, a bone-stock Tacoma TRD Pro handled this treacherous journey without breaking a sweat,” according to Toyota. “The only thing we added was gas.”
When you need a little truck with a lot of heart, think 2017 Toyota Tacoma.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Find out more about the 2017 Toyota Tacoma and other Toyota Fleet products and services, visit fleet.toyota.com.
MODERN WORKTRUCK SOLUTIONS: NOVEMBER 2016 ISSUE
Did you enjoy this article?
Subscribe to the FREE Digital Edition of Modern WorkTruck Solutions magazine.