Peterbilt designed the Model 348 to take on all the rigid demands of Class 7 and Class 8 specialty application markets. With rugged durability and a wide range of optional content, “The Model 348 represents a multi-dimensional performer with a GVW from 33,000 to 66,000 lbs and optional capacity ratings to suit almost any vocation,” according to Peterbilt. “The 348 is also available in a specifically designed all-wheel-drive configuration. From construction and crane service to utility and delivery services in both Class 7 and Class 8 markets, the 348 is in a class by itself.”
ALL GET-UP, NO LET DOWN
The Model 348 comes with two engine offerings: the PACCAR PX-7 and the PACCAR PX-9. The 6.7-liter PACCAR PX-7 offers the performance you need without the threat of unwanted downtime. According to Peterbilt, “Reduced maintenance, long service intervals, and excellent fuel efficiency add up to a superior lifetime value.” The PACCAR PX-7 is available in hp ratings from 280 to 325 and offers up to 750 lb-ft of torque.
The 8.9-liter PACCAR PX-9 engine option “has one of the highest power-to-weight ratios in its class (260-380 hp), with heavy-duty features like replaceable wet liners, roller cam followers, bypass oil filtration, and targeted piston-cooling,” according to the company.
“Available in both medium- and heavy-duty configurations, PACCAR PX engine options give customers in traditional Class 7, Class 8, vocational, or specialty applications outstanding fuel economy, greater reliability, and unsurpassed performance.”
The Model 348 offers Eaton manual transmission options. If automatic is more your style, Peterbilt has you covered. You can choose from an Allison automatic transmission.
STRONG AND NIMBLE
The Model 348 has a lightweight, all-aluminum cab for increased fuel efficiency. Plus, it’s corrosion-resistant. The 108-inch BBC Metton® hood is lightweight, but strong. It tilts open a full 90 degrees for easier access to key service points. “The stainless steel grille surround is long lasting, and its durable design provides superior protection of the engine cooling system.”
Peterbilt offers the options you need to customize the truck you need:
- Front axle options include Dana Spicer 12,000-, 12,500-, 13,200-, 14,000-, 14,600-, and 20,000-lb capacities; Meritor 12,000-, 12,500-, 13,000-, 13,200-, 14,000-, 14,600-, and 20,000-lb capacities; Fabco 12,000-, 13,000-, 14,600-, and 16,000-lb capacities; and Marmon Herrington 12,000-, 14,000-, and 16,000-lb capacities.
- Rear axle options include single axle Dana Spicer 21,000-, 23,000-, 25,000-, 26,000-, and 30,000-lb capacities; tandem axle Dana Spicer 40,000-, 44,000-, and 46,000-lb capacities; and tandem axle Meritor 40,000- and 44,000-lb capacities.
- Rear suspension options include Peterbilt AirTrac (single) 20,000- and 23,000-lb capacities and Reyco (single) 23,000-, 26,000-, and 31,000-lb capacities; and Peterbilt AirTrac (tandem), Peterbilt Low Air Leaf (tandem), Hendrickson RT (tandem), Hendrickson HMX (tandem), Reyco (tandem), and Chalmers 854 (tandem).
- Front and rear brake options include air cam drum or air disc.
- ABS system options include Bendix 4S4M or 6S6M Air.
- Tire options include Bridgestone, Goodyear, and Michelin on 22.5- or 24.5-inch steel or aluminum wheels.
- Air tank options include steel and aluminum.
- Fuel tanks options include steel 45-gallon, 23-inch aluminum 50- to 100-gallon, and 26-inch aluminum 50- to 90-gallon.
INSIDE THE CAB
The interior of the Model 348 is comfortable, ergonomic, and made to keep drivers safe and productive. LED backlit gauges are easy to read and make it quick to find what you need. The driver information display shows critical data at your fingertips. “The multi-functional turnstalk and easy-to-read driver information center provide a comfortable, ergonomic driver environment,” according to Peterbilt.
And, with the in-mold process that embeds color directly onto the dash to reduce fading, scratching, and peeling, the Model 348 provides a long-lasting finish.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Peterbilt Motors Company—a PACCAR company—combines a global reputation for industry leading design, innovative engineering, and fuel efficiency solutions. Peterbilt also provides a comprehensive array of aftermarket support programs to complement its full lineup of on-highway, vocational, and medium-duty products, including alternative fuel vehicles. Find out more about Peterbilt, visit www.peterbilt.com.
MODERN WORKTRUCK SOLUTIONS: MAY 2017 ISSUE
Did you enjoy this article?
Subscribe to the FREE Digital Edition of Modern WorkTruck Solutions magazine.